Ritchie County Historical Society
The Ritchie County Historical Society was formed in 1973 and purchased the Old Stone House on June 20, 1977. The Old Stone House, constructed in 1810 -1815 and used as a Stage Coach stop on the Northwestern Turnpike, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It is now a museum of 20+ rooms with a genealogy library and is located at 310 Myles Avenue in Pennsboro.
The society also leases the Pennsboro B & O Depot and has restored it as a railroad museum and community center. The video above provides information about the history of the depot. The society also helped establish the Cairo Museum and the General Thomas M. Harris School Museum in Harrisville.
The society’s numerous publications include: “The History of Ritchie County” by Minnie Kendall Lowther; “Ritchie County, WV Cemeteries – Through 1993”; “A Photographic History of Ritchie Co., WV”; “North Bend Rail Trail Guide” by Charlene Lattea; and “The Life and Times of the Pennsboro B & O Depot.”
Society membership – Annual dues are $10.00 and based on the calendar year. The society normally meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month, February through October. Interested parties are encouraged to attend. Contact the society for monthly meeting places and times.
NOTICE: The Old Stone House & Pennsboro Depot are normally closed during the winter months.
David Scott, Treasurer
45 Skyline Drive
Harrisville, WV 26362
Old Stone House
310 Myles Ave.
Pennsboro WV 26415
Visit the historical society’s web site to learn more about the historical society and/or the county’s history.
For additional information, or to obtain a complete list of the society’s publications, call Donnie Jones, President, at 304-659-2326 or Phil & Norma Davis at 304-659-2249 or E-mail the historical society at: email@example.com .
For tours of the Stone House, contact Charles Dotson: 304-659-3962 or Norma Davis: 304-659-2249.
For tours of the Depot, contact Charles Dotson: 304-659-3962.